Smart Start Class
SMCC offers both day and night ABE-GED prep classes!
- The SMCC campus site currently enrolls new learners as seats become available. Please call 601-276-3846 for scheduled enrollments.
- An enrollee must be at least 17 years of age on or before September 1st of the current school year, a resident of Mississippi, and cannot be enrolled in any public, private, or home school setting.
- Day One - a data packet will be completed by the enrollee including program orientation, a Locator Assessment will be administered in order to determine a level of comfort- this will assist the program with administering an assessment which is neither too easy nor too hard. A fifty-minute Reading assessment may also be administered on day one.
- Day Two - the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) administration process will be continued with assessments in Math and Language to determine if there are weaknesses.
- A study plan designed to strengthen weak areas will be assigned. Post tests will be administered in order to check readiness for a GED practice test.
- A GED practice exam will give administrators an indication of how an individual might score on an official GED exam. Official GED exams require a minimum passing score of 145 in the following: Science, Mathematical Reasoning, Social Studies and Reasoning through Language Arts.
- Smart Start classes offer a Carerr Readiness Certification after 45 class hours and learner must pass the exam with a minimum score of 3, which is a Bronze Certification.